Wednesday 4 April 2018

Assessing the HoloLens

I had the opportunity to get a glimpse in the Microsoft HoloLens a week, which is — as wikipedia puts it “a set of mixed reality   smartglasses”. As I had to fight with my 16 year old nephew for usage time (that I lost of course), I ended up getting about an hour wearing the eyeglasses. Or cans if you would like, it’s way larger than glasses and resembles mix of some Star Trek visor and ski boots.

My go-to assignment was to research the HoloLens as given using a two minute verbal introduction to get myself acquainted with the basic concepts of control and usage.

Length 15 minutes ad-hoc fooling around plus 45 minutes after the mission.
Proceeding * Initially I moved to the gesture/control tutorial
* moved for two two augmented reality apps: an anatomical atlas and a star map
* I spent the last few minutes in the browser to have a look at more familiar usages like surfing the internet
test information no distinctive test information was used
problems 1. My eyes started to hurt quite soon until I realized that I forgot to blink while wearing the eyeglasses. Definitely not a software bug, still a topic once we are blurring the borders between software and reallife environment.
2. Language control is fairly shaky. Might be a non native speaker difficulty, but if pronouncing “following” I had to speak the a manner more open than I would normally do and what I perceive as ordinary pronunciation.
3. There’s not any anti-aliasing, making some things look frayed at the edges.
4. The HoloLens cannot differentiate between your personal gestures and those of other men and women. I really could pop up the menu when somebody else had been wearing it. Superior thing: it didn’t crash when getting four gestures in the identical time.
Proof After the tutorial I was able to control the item and have a look around.
Effects gesture controller is really intuitive and you get a grasp of it pretty quickly. Interestingly enough about half the people I talked to agreed that they were better in controlling it using their weak hand. Perhaps they’re putting more effort in the expressions then?
Blending display and fact was intriguing initially but became type of organic pretty quickly. Applying it for 3D software seems appropriate, utilizing it for surfing the net was cumbersome, although placing separate browser tabs in different places in the area was fine (cookbook over the stove, vacation reading next to the doorway).
Obstacles I’d no instruction manual available. Without the two minute verbal explanation in the beginning, I wouldn’t have been in a position to start the tutorial. I really don’t know if the tutorial begins in case you start the HoloLens the first time, but that will be sort of helpful.
Prognosis I did not dive into some other settings or at all, so that’s definitely something I would choose next time. I would also like to provide the apps more time separately.
Feelings I was pretty pleased with the way everything went. Of course it was nearer to just goofing over to actually using it, but all in all it sounds pretty old already and I can surely imagine areas of software where it can be quite helpful.
Learnings Testing in those contexts goes beyond just testing software (or hardware), but anthropological aspects start to become way more important. Do you really get a stiff neck from the weight? I didn’t, I can envision younger persons could. Than again I had to adjust the headband to max, so what should you have an even larger head? Or suppose my dry eyes?
Adaption I recommend reading the instruction manual. But then again, if you’re merely a little like me you’re too excited to read the manual first, so I figure I wouldn’t change much.

As you can see it was more on the fun side, but nothing wrong with that I guess.

The post <p>Assessing the HoloLens</p> appeared first on HoloLensVirals.com - Latest HoloLens News.



source http://www.hololensvirals.com/assessing-the-hololens/

No comments:

Post a Comment